Friday, September 26, 2008

queriendo, necesitando, esperando

One of the earliest tattoos I thought about getting was this:

poor is the man
whose pleasures depend
on the permission of another

It was going to be in courier, left justified on my left shoulder blade, just the way it popped up in the closing frames of the "Justify My Love" video. As I have added more tattoos and started thinking about other pieces to come, this one fell off the plate when I started thinking about a larger piece on my back. In fact, I had forgotten the idea until I was talking to someone about what I want to do on my back. Then last night, in my trip through videos Madonna subtitulados, I see this:

pobre es el hombre
cuyos placeres dependen
del permiso de otro

I kinda LOVE it! I think it's a tattoo that's now back on the plate -- but not as I originally imagined. Aside from being in Spanish, I think it will be in more of a script font and centered. Not up on my shoulder blade, either -- possibly right above my ass and below the Maverick tattoo? Hmm... decisions, decisions.

Also, last night for the first time I wondered if Madonna wrote those lines. We all know the "Ingrid-Chavez-
wrote-the-lyrics-and-gave-them-to-Lenny-Kravitz-and-Lenny-didn't-tell-Madonna" story, but Madonna does have an "additional lyrics" credit. Those are the only lines that aren't intrinsically part of the song, even though they do perfectly capture the theme of unbridled fantasy. And they do it in a way that is soooooooo Madonna, particularly Madonna of 1990, "Permission? Fuck you! I don't need to ask for no permission!"

1 comment:

jen. said...

oooh, i LOVE the new and improved espanol, centered, scripty, butt version!!

2008 concerts

  • Metro Station The Wiltern 7/19
  • George Michael The Forum 6/25
  • Panic at the Disco Anaheim 6/14
  • Panic at the Disco L.V. 6/13
  • Heloise & the Savior Faire 6/8
  • Mandy Moore Hotel Cafe L.A. 5/23
  • Panic at the Disco S.F. 4/11
  • Panic at the Disco S.F. 4/10
  • Panic at the Disco Jimmy Kimmel 3/25
  • Really, Really Ridiculously Good Looking Tour L.V. 2/17
  • Really, Really Ridiculously Good Looking Tour L.A. 2/16
  • Rufus Wainwright L.A. 2/12