Monday, March 24, 2008

don't look back because life is short

A student wrote to me this week, "for the last two months I've been restricting in this one area of my life. But I'm still not seeing any changes."

While restriction is a great start, the student is forgetting to throw away the calculations. When we sit and wait for the result, it will never come.

A student goes to his teacher and says, "Teacher, no one loves me." The teacher says, "run away from love and love will run after you." Easy enough. Two weeks later the student returns and says, "it's not working. I'm running but it's not running after me." The teacher says, "you are running, but you keep looking over your shoulder to see how far back it is."

Today, don't look back, don't look ahead. Just look at the spiritual task in front of you. Submit to the process and let go of the need for results. As my mother and teacher Karen Berg says, " don't chase love. If you busy yourself with helping others, love will come, like a butterfly, and sit lightly on your shoulder.
"

No comments:

2008 concerts

  • Metro Station The Wiltern 7/19
  • George Michael The Forum 6/25
  • Panic at the Disco Anaheim 6/14
  • Panic at the Disco L.V. 6/13
  • Heloise & the Savior Faire 6/8
  • Mandy Moore Hotel Cafe L.A. 5/23
  • Panic at the Disco S.F. 4/11
  • Panic at the Disco S.F. 4/10
  • Panic at the Disco Jimmy Kimmel 3/25
  • Really, Really Ridiculously Good Looking Tour L.V. 2/17
  • Really, Really Ridiculously Good Looking Tour L.A. 2/16
  • Rufus Wainwright L.A. 2/12